Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Me Before You


Me Before You
author: Jojo Moyes
published by: penguin
released: January 5th 2012
pages: 481
my rating: 5 out of 5 stars











Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

To be honest, I didn't even want to read this book at first. I don't really read contemporary that much and I thought this book was probably really overhyped. What finally made me read it was the trailer (I know I'm horrible). 

This is one of those books where you actually laugh and cry. I don't usually cry (or show to much emotion at all) while reading books, but this book made me actually sob at one point. 

Clarke is perfectly happy with her job and small little life and doesn't plan on doing something different. But then she loses her job and has to take what's available. So she ends up taking care and helping Will Traynor, who is a quadriplegic and doesn't see anything good in the world anymore. At first they basically hate each other but that soon changes. 

I don't know this book managed to be heart wrenchingly sad but also really really funny but it did. Clarke is a very unique character to say the least. When you just look at the things she does and want to do she seems a little boring when actually she's quite the opposite. She loves to dress colorful and fun and likes talking to people. Will is pretty much the opposite when they first meet. He is sarcastic and witty but also depressed and tired of living. 
Throughout the book they both undergo huge character development and even though the characters in the end seem totally different from how they seemed in the beginning of the book, I didn't even notice it until a while after I finished. 
Nothing in this book is rushed but it never gets boring. The way their characters develop and they come closer seems very natural and I always felt with Clarke. 

I also managed to read this in a span of three days in which I was really busy and didn't expect to read much. 
Basically this book affected me in a way I didn't expect at all and really broke my heart. So yeah, maybe this book is getting hyped a lot but I completely understand it now. 5 out of 5 stars. Oh and also a fair few of the lines in the book were adopted literally into the trailer, which made me extremely happy. I'm definitely going to see the movie as soon as it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment